Friday, July 3, 2009

My Patio Garden Experiment


OK, I know I've been ignoring this blog, I promise to try to do better. This spring I decided to experiment with growing veggies on my patio. Now I live in a small apartment and my patio is the only space I have and it's only about 4 feet by 7 feet. Several of the articles I read had you putting your garden in all kinds of containers but this wasn't an option for me. I live on the first floor and everyone else in the building has to walk past my patio to get in. I had several planters already because I've always grown flowers and I begged and borrowed some more.I have to keep it neat or the landlord would have made me get rid of it.

This year was an experiment to see what will work and what won't. You can see in the picture the ripening tomato. So far I've gotten two tomatoes off of it and theres a bunch more small green ones. One parsley plant has not only supplied all my needs, but also my daughters and I've been freezing it a little bit at a time! I haven't frozen any of the basil but theres plenty there!

Have I saved any money? No, at least not yet. I had to buy a couple of planters, the plants and the seeds and the potting soil. but I will be ahead of the game next year! But the real benifit is the tast of fresh picked veggies. The other night I had a salad with oak leaf lettuce, fresh picked tomato, broccolli (that was a bust which I explain in another post and radish, all from my little patio garden.

For a recipe that used ingredients from my garden try my Zucchini Saute.

No comments: