Monday, July 6, 2009

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

OK, so I don't much care for rosemary but I do have the first two and more! I just bought a sage plant and a, well OK, it's marjoram not thyme at a BOGO free sale at our local veggie stand. The parsley and basil have been growing like crazy and I've been freezing a lot of it.
.
What I'm trying is a way I read about years ago. You chop up the herb like you were going to use it fresh, then you measure out by teaspoons or tablespoons into ice cube containers. Fill with water, then freeze. When a recipe calls for one of these herbs you just take out the required amount of cubes and add to it! Just remember that it usually takes twice as much "fresh" as it does dried. Don't forget to compensate for the water although in most recipes it will be so minimal as to not make a difference.

2 comments:

sheep#100 said...

I love rosemary. Great with beef and lamb.

Kudos to you on the houseplants.

green goddess said...

I've been doing this for a while now, ever since i had a mishap with basil seeds (hated the thought of the waste of thinning them out). It works great and even though the herbs are frozen they still provide a better aroma than dried..